Economic Research Institute Far Eastern Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences was created as an independent division on July 1, 1976 in accordance with the Resolution of the Presidium of the USSR Academy of Sciences No 480“On Organization of Economic Research Institute, Far-Eastern Scientific Center of the USSR Academy of Sciences” from May 27, 1976.
From the very beginning the Institute was focused on the organization of economic science in the Far East, systematic study of the social-economic processes happeningin the region that is important not only for Russia, but also for all Northeast Asia. Leading experts in many areas of economic science work in the laboratories of the Institute. The general specialization of the Institute is the research of problems and prospects of socio-economic development of the Far Eastern economic region, the research of problems of economic cooperation with foreign countries in the Pacific Rim. Upon its creationthe Institute was also focused on the organization and coordination of economic research in the Far East, training of highly-qualified specialists through postgraduate study at the Institute.
During Soviet times the Institute was awarded many times. In 1997 the Institute was awarded the honorary Niigata Prize for Cooperation in Northeast Asia.
The corresponding member of RAS Pavel G. Bunich was a director-organizer of the Institute in 1971-1975. At various stages of formation and development the Institute was headed by well-known scientists-economists: Doctor of Economics, ProfessorGeorgiyTarasov (1976-1978), corresponding member of RAS ValeriyChichkanov (1979-1986), Doctor of Geography, Professor (now Academician of RAS) Petr Baklanov (1987-1991), Doctor of Economics, Academician of the Russian Academy of Science Pavel Minakir (1991-2016). Since December 2016, the Director of the Institute is the Doctor of Economics Olga Prokapalo.
Nowadays the structure of the Institute includes 3 research laboratories, which unite 8 sectors, a scientific-educational projects department, a representative office of the Institute in Moscow, the Amur Laboratory of Economics and Social Studies in Blagoveshchensk, Primorsky Laboratory of Economics and Global Problems in Vladivostok.
Main scientific directions of the Institute:
The main activities of the Institute are:
- Scientific bases of the concept of socio-economic development strategy of Russia’s eastern regions;
- Research and forecast of Russia’s socio-economic development in a territorial section;
- Theoretical basics and instrumental methods of research of economic space. Regional economic policy;
- Research of functioning and development of the economy and social systems of federal districts and subjects in the eastern regions of Russia;
- The international economic cooperation of Russia and the Far Eastern Federal district with the countries of Northeast Asia. Economic integration of the Far Eastern Federal district within the national economy, CIS Countries and NEA;
- Interdisciplinary research of spatial aspects of economic and social development.